withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

revealing the truth

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kathrynyee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: revealing the truth Reply with quote

It was very disturbing watching the movie on this site. Many of us are aware of the discrimination and injustices inflicted upon African Americans during out history but perhaps not to this extent. It is disgusting how they were murdered by groups of men as if it were sport. Before studying the Rosewood incident and coming to this site, I did know that these brutalities were so common. I knew that people were hung but these photographs show the extent to which they were mutilated. A lynching seems quite merciful in comparison to the reality of these torturings. I was surprised to see these photos on postcards. It shows that the people who commited these crimes were proud. I'm glad that "Without Sanctuary" posted the movie because like myself before studying this, I don't think people realize how full of hate some white people were. To me, Rosewood seems like such a huge incident. In my opinion it was so brutal that I think of it more as a massacre. How could a whole town be destroyed and so many innocent people attacked under such unrational accusations? It also seems that people turned their heads away from such incidents because before being told to research it, I hadn't even heard of Rosewood. Though disturbing, these photos and stories are a harsh reality of America's shameful past and it's important that people are reminded so that such incidents will never happen again.
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: RESPONE TO REVEALING THE TRUTH Reply with quote

I'm glad that you visited the site and was enlightened by the movie and postcards you observed. I think it's great that there is access to the horrors of early America. Fortunately, you and I did not have to live through this, but nevertheless, you and I both reap the benefits as a result of the blood shed, mutilation and struggles of those before us.
You sound like you have fresh eyes and ears, but do not be fooled. Believing that this will never happen again because it is known is a bit naive. These atrocities are presently occurring in countries abroad, at the hands of Americans, white men. If knowing was the deterent, why aren't these pictures part of any curriculum focused on American history. If you were educated here in the U.S. or currently attending school here, why is it that you are just learning of these events with this intensity? These images are to be buried and never discussed. Black Americans are to forget about these occurrences.
Not knowing your age or race doesn't change my view, you also have the same handicap. Because this did occur and whites who may not have participated, but turned their heads are just as guilty. Try going back and researching what happened prior to the lynchings.
Examine slavery, the middle passage, slave catchers. Today's white man look at Blacks with the same eyes, the same skin. Without participating they and their families have profited off of the African and the Black American labor, death and destruction.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: