withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I understand that you might be interested in more pictures

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lblenio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: I understand that you might be interested in more pictures Reply with quote

We have a couple of pictues of the Hart lynching from 1933 of John Holmes and Thomas Thurmond. In particular, one photo shows both men been lynched. Are you purchasing more pictures?
James Allen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Photos, Letters, photo albums Reply with quote

Dear reader,

We have never waivered in our desire to gather as much evidence about racial violence and mob activities in the US. We are very interested in any photos if they can add a new dimension to our collection. We purchase everything; we do not accept donations of any sort. Some people wish to relieve the burden of holding a photo of a racial killing or mob violence by donating an image or family letters... to the Without Sanctuary collection. One Episcopalian priest and inheritor of a lynching photograph said "It was so horrific it was almost sacred; I couldn't destroy it. I wanted it to come to some good." In those cases we make an equivalent donation to a charity. If you have photographs or related documents or objects, please contact James Allen at Jim@withoutsanctuary.com.

Many thanks to all.

Jim Allen
sadden25

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate you making a web page of this, because I heard about it in class and seen some pictures, but to watch them on this web page brought tears to my eyes. My ancestors had a harsh life to live through. They loss their lives to stupidity and cruelness. Well I'm going to stop typing beause this is really making me upset.
allysonhawksmoody@yahoo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened upon your site while searching for information on Macon, Georgia, during the late 1800's/early 1900's. I wanted to gather some history for an article I am writing for a local publication. The article is on a minority owned business, and I wanted to know what life was like in Macon when this particular business was started . . . what life was like starting a business as an African American during the late 1800's.

I watched your movie. I looked at many photographs. It all evokes deep feelings that remind me of the way I felt on 9-11. Human beings are capable of atrocities that seem impossible to me. I am glad that you have put this collection together, because I think it is important to look and see and know just how atrocious. I feel a personal commitment to ensure that nothing like this ever happens again, and yet, I think that there is little difference between these lynchings and war. That one human being can kill another is so sad to me. Your collection is a reminder.

I think it is rather serendipitious that I found your site for more reasons than the article I am writing. My husband and I had a rather heated debate last nite over the current state of affairs (the war, Katrina, etc.) in the USA, and I suggested that while most Americans are totally self-righteous, that perhaps we were no different than the Taliban, no different than anywhere else in the world (other than riches and gluttony). He was furious that I would suggest such a thing, and his strong response made me feel so small. Just a few moments ago, I sent him a link to your site. It will be interesting to hear his response.

I wish you and anybody who reads my comments nothing but peace and happiness, and I sincerely hope that we can stop killing each other.
lindsaypgoss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: To Jim Allen Reply with quote

It seems inappropriate to thank you for your dedication to this project. It also seems like you've probably been told this before, by teachers before me. As a teacher, I know how valuable feedback is, and even if you've heard it a million times, every time is important.

I'm going to teach this to my sophomores, because it wasn't taught to me. I found out about the history of lynching when I was just out of college. And I still-still-don't understand why the true story of American history is not part of our curriculum. As part of a Social Justice Unit on Poetry, we will spend time looking at this collection of atrocities. If not now...when?

Sincerely,
Lindsay Goss
lindsaypgoss

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: What I also meant to say is... Reply with quote

Thank you for keeping this information accessible and public. I don't know what kind of procedure that must involve, I'm sure the barriers are numerous, but it is so essential that I, as a public high school teacher, am able to have access to this in this form.

Lindsay
Kush Queen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="sadden25"]I appreciate you making a web page of this, because I heard about it in class and seen some pictures, but to watch them on this web page brought tears to my eyes. My ancestors had a harsh life to live through. They loss their lives to stupidity and cruelness. Well I'm going to stop typing beause this is really making me upset.[/quote]

If you knew anything about your ancestry at all, You would know that this period of lynching and burning and castration is not the beginning of your history. Your history does not begin with the slave trade. That was a lie that you have been fed. Go out and research who you are what your people have done. Go back to your roots, and your sorrows will be replaced by peace.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: