withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My reaction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dbattle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: My reaction Reply with quote

I am an African American woman, and my first reaction was one of anger. Then outrage. This is nothing new. I have seen these types of pictures before. Seeing them always fills me with rage, and my opinion of whites has changed.
I grew up a military brat..used to being the only black kid in the classroom. But there were kids who I got along with and some I didn't. It was no big deal. I believed we were all the same, color didn't matter, blah blah blah. But then I grew up and lived OUTSIDE of a military installation. And I noticed the white woman who would clutch her purse when I entered the elevator with her. I noticed the white cashier who would go over my check with a fine tooth comb even though white customers before me breezed through the line with their checks. I became one of those people who will see a story on the news and say: "Humph, if that had been a black man he would have gotten a stiffer sentence" or "Why aren't there more black people on (name any orginazation, t.v. show..anything). I hate that I have these feelings now when I didn't when I was younger. Am I becoming more and more distrustful of whites as I get older? Am I looking for racism in situations where it does not necessarily exist?
I don't know if revisiting this part of our history helps ME. What I need is more affirmation of what CAN be, not more evidence of what WAS.
But that's just my 2 cents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: