withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jena 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twinkie1cat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Jena 6 Reply with quote

I keep thinking about what would have happened in Jena Louisiana during the days that lynching was sanctioned. After the fight in the school yard that got the 6 young boys charged with attempted murder for kicking their classmate with their tennis shoes, the next day there would have been 6 nooses hanging from the tree, each with one of the Jena 6 hung from it.

We are more "civilized" today. We just destroy the lives of teenagers by putting them in jail until they lose hope and feel like they are too old to have a life. We lynch their minds instead of their bodies.
Athena

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is a good thing this did not happen during the days of "lynching". They were over-charged and they certainly do not deserve 15 years in jail but they did commit a crime. This was more than a school-yard fight and does warrant criminal charges.

I also think it would have been more apprpriate for the slogan to be "Justice for the Jena6" as opposed to "Free the Jena6". Nothing warrants a six-on-one attack on a helpless, unconscious victim no matter what the color of his skin.
twinkie1cat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing about adding to what has been done to the boys already is that they have already been punished enough. Mychal Bell is back in jail because he supposedly violated probation when he got in the Jena 6 fight. He has not been convicted for that because the adult conviction was thrown out. It was pure meanness. The judge refused to recuse himself even though he was biased. When he was bailed out after the 10 months in jail---more than enough time for a simple assault or simple battery charge, one of the other boys had only been out for two weeks. Another one is working as a barber not having been allowed to go back to school. One got sent to Texas to live with his grandmother because there were threats on his life. I did not hear about the other three. The boy they beat up had made racial slurs against them. He was part of the group accusing the black kids of burning down the school building. There is that much separatism in Jena. He really did not look any more beat up than in any school yard fight. He went to a school function the same night.
As far as his being unconcious goes, it must have been really brief since he was not said to have a concussion.

The Jena 6 boys were all good students. Mychal Bell was being recruited for a college football scholarship. Apparently he had a bit of an anger management problem. Teenagers tend to act without thinking of the long term consequences. That is why they are kids and not adults. They are not fully developed.

The noose hangers, one dropped out and one was kicked out. The other had a mama who was a special education teacher. There is no greater pressure to stay in school than if your mama is a teacher. He graduated.
Frankly, from the pictures I saw of them, at least 2 looked like they were special ed children.

I think justice has already been done and overdone. This is something that should have gotten a year probation, finish the year at the alternative school and anger management classes. I think there was jealousy that a poor black kid from the far distant sticks of the most conservative part of Louisiana was likely to make it big at LSU. DeSoto Parish was one of several northern parishes that voted for David Duke for Governor in 1990. David Duke was the Grand Wizard of the KKK. It was a major embarrassment to the entire Southeast. It is also one of the places where Bobby Jindal went last month to ensure his election. Last election he lost because his opponents called him by his Indian name, darkened his skin in their hate ads and convinced the rednecks he was a foreigner even though he is second generation and born in Baton Rouge. He even went to public school.

I consider the DA of Jena in the same category as Nifong, using black people to get what he wants. Nifong manipulated them the same way, trying to curry their favor by prosecuting white boys who obviously did not rape that stripper. Now Jena's guy tried to curry the rednecks by being hardnosed with the black boys but doing nothing to the white children who started the problem. Even if he could not get them for a hate crime, hanging a noose is a terroristic threat. It has never meant anything but political assasination.

I read where the neo-nazis are planning a March on Jena for Martin Luther King Day. Now they know where to go to get attention. And up in Shreveport, which is at the top of Louisiana, the KKK in Arkansas has been leaving calling cards on people's doors suggesting they join. This is 2007 and stuff that should have gone away 50 years ago is back in full view of America.
rbroser

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, we are far from being completely civilized. The problem lies in several factors: lack of education that makes one aware of racial struggles, parents who do not promote equality and free speech in their home, and the incapability of the government to address more important issues in the country (focus on domestic problems rather than on foreign entanglements).

I hope this forum will mark the beginning of an advancement toward a truly civilized society.
twinkie1cat

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Heads up---another noose Reply with quote

Now this one is scary. A cop in Thibadeaux (Tib a dough) Louisiana was just fired for not being able to explain why he was carrying a noose in his police car. Thibadeaux is in Southwest Louisiana. It was made famous by the Hank Williams Song---Me Oh My Oh and another called "Amos Moses" that probably came out in the 1970s. Thew area is heavily swampland. Go on WAFB.com if you want to read about it.

There were a lot of homeless guys murdered in that area shortly before Katrina and then, about a year after they started up again. They were mixed racially but all disinfranchised people. They thought they had the guy who did it but now I wonder. This cop is a big guy who looks neo-nazi.

There has been a KKK resurgence in Arkansas, but this is a long way from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: