withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lynching is terrible, but don't blame whites today for it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxxcoolbreeze

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Hahahahaha Reply with quote

Huh? Where did that come from? You sure you have the right forum? That was way out of the ballpark for the majority of writers. I don't know if you noticed or not but the spark (being John's comment) was a bit more extreme then pride in one's race. Let's not put all our eggs in one basket here.

[quote="Aryan"]If a black man says "I'm PROUD to be black!" He is considered a proud black man.

NOW If a white man says "I am PROUD to be white!" he is considered to be RACIST!!!!!!

Well I am PROUD to be a aryan female and INCREDIBLY proud of my heritage! Take it as you will! Only the ignorant can twist my words in to lies!

The amount of white bashing is disgusting. You act as if I climbed that tree or bridge to hang that man. How do I say sorry for what some close-minded moron did almost 100 years ago.

Quit trying to mooch sympathy, If your black, white, japanese, mexican or rainbow colored.... Have pride in yourself and dont bash others!

DID YOU ASK TO BE BORN WEARING THE FLESH THAT YOU CAME IN TO THIS WORLD WEARING?

MY GUESS IS NO......[/quote]
Gplex314159

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Lynching is terrible, but don't blame whites today for i Reply with quote

[quote="John R"]I am white. And yes, I agree that the things seen on this website are indeed terrible. But they happened in the long distant past, and did not involve most white people. I want to ask: If white people are always getting the blame for everything wrong that white peole did, then, why do we get no credit for all the good that we did? Slavery in America was ended by white people. Did the black Africans fight a civil war to free their slaves? And what about all the efforts white Americans did to remedy past injustices to black people? We really bent over backwords for you people and never any thanks for it. And what about the fact that modern civilization itself is largely the creation of the white race? The world would still be living in the Stone Age if it wasn't for all the technology that white people made possible. And finally, slavery was not invented by white people. But the movement to end slavery was. Now I don't expect black people to bow down to me because I am white. But a little show of appreciation every now and then would be appreciated.[/quote]

I dont believe this guy, "Hey dont blame me for what bad things my ancestors did, but give me credit for what they did right". What a load of f**kup bs!! Did you even think before typing this out?!?!? Blacks where treated worst then a fighting dog, but hey, "we" did the right thing in the end right? Only took a few hundred years of torcher first right? You sir are on the edge of being part of the KKK, seek some help.
cpsheely

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Privilege Prevails Reply with quote

To Maggiore, well written! I just hope John was able to get through that and actually think about what you wrote. I offend people all of the time when I tell people I am a racist just by being white. My suggestion to John is to be aware of your privileges that you and others like you(us) have; not only by being white, male, christian, ablebodied, probably straight, english speaking, and the many many other "categories" we use to be or feel superior thus reducing others to less than. The truth of the matter is we can all do something every day to reduce those privileges by not acting on or taking advantage of them.
desed1975

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the moron who staRTED THIS TOPIC SHOULD BE LYNCHED. LOL. First of all, what do you mean by show a little appreciation for what your people have done for us. What a joke. I will thank you for getting my ancestors here because africa is hot but do you know what your people did to my ancestors when the vessels became too heavy to sail? no? I'll tell you they threw us off into the ocean. WHILE WE WERE STILL IN CHAINS. when you speak of how the white man's technology made america a better country you are right but i don't think that when our fore fathers wrote the constitution they had blacks or native americans in mindin fact, blacks were considered live stock. Of course you know what happened to the native americans right? sure you do. they were raped of thier land to make america a better country. this country has always had blood on its hands and although things are better in this country we still have a ways to go. jenna six ring a bell? By the way the slaves were only freed by Lincoln because he did not want the south makemoney off of the slave labor. a spoils of war if you will. Why do you think the war started in the first place?
rbroser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Oookay, that's a little too much anger.... Reply with quote

I can understand why what John said seemed extremely insensitive and ignorant, and believe me, I got upset reading what he wrote, too, but that's what he is: ignorant, not evil or sadistic or eager to kill off every minority in the world.

What John says, unfortunately, reflects what many Caucasians say about lynching: "It was bad, but I don't do it". But what is untrue about this statement is that they, including John, are missing the point about this website: It isn't to punish people because of what their ancestors did; it is to remind us about how terrible racism is and how it continues even today.

John, you are not a bad person, but you need to understand that when a black person sees a picture of a lynching, they are reminded of a time when their people were considered less than a human being. However, yelling at you or wishing that you be lynched does not solve the problem. After all, two wrongs don't make a right.

However, desed1975 makes a good point: Slavery is a period most people would like to forget. But we can't forget it. We can not allow ourselves to dwell on the past, but we should remember it so we do not allow our society to head done the wrong path a second time.

Remember, the purpose of this website is to make allies, not enemies. If we attacked each other relentlessly, we would not make any progress. It's good to express our anger and resentment at lynching, but we also have to learn from each other. Instead of attacking John, make him aware of what slavery has done and why racism is wrong.

That is how we can confront racism, rather than increase the distance between ethnic groups. Unity, people!
rbroser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Oookay, that's a little too much anger.... Reply with quote

I can understand why what John said seemed extremely insensitive and ignorant, and believe me, I got upset reading what he wrote, too, but that's what he is: ignorant, not evil or sadistic or eager to kill off every minority in the world.

What John says, unfortunately, reflects what many Caucasians say about lynching: "It was bad, but I don't do it". But what is untrue about this statement is that they, including John, are missing the point about this website: It isn't to punish people because of what their ancestors did; it is to remind us about how terrible racism is and how it continues even today.

John, you are not a bad person, but you need to understand that when a black person sees a picture of a lynching, they are reminded of a time when their people were considered less than a human being. However, yelling at you or wishing that you be lynched does not solve the problem. After all, two wrongs don't make a right.

However, desed1975 makes a good point: Slavery is a period most people would like to forget. But we can't forget it. We can not allow ourselves to dwell on the past, but we should remember it so we do not allow our society to head done the wrong path a second time.

Remember, the purpose of this website is to make allies, not enemies. If we attacked each other relentlessly, we would not make any progress. It's good to express our anger and resentment at lynching, but we also have to learn from each other. Instead of attacking John, make him aware of what slavery has done and why racism is wrong.

That is how we can confront racism, rather than increase the distance between ethnic groups. Unity, people!
tamika127

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Lynching is terrible ... Reply with quote

Wow! As an African American who is a history educator in a majority Caucasian school, it is a pleasure to see/read such passion about an era in our nation's history that still plagues our existence today. The problem, John, and anyone who reasons the way he does, is that historical events place you/us on a particular track/path that if not adjusted just continues until abnormal seems to be normal. Please pay close attention to how may young people and children our present in these images with their parents or adult mentor. Our nation has never atoned or apologized in any significant way for the horrific atrocities that were visited upon African (American) slaves. Slavery instilled a false sense of superiority and inferiority in specific groups in our country. The false sense of self has led groups to continue (Jim Crow, segregation, redlining, etc.) to treat other groups as less than. It would be great to "just move on", I don't know anyone who wouldn't love to wake up tomorrow with our nation being healed and whole. But as anyone who has ever dealt with ABUSE (physical, psychological, sexual, substance) knows there has to be an acknowledgment of the wrong and how it has led to other wrongs and treatment for the members to move forward and heal.
tamika127

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Lynching is terrible ... Reply with quote

Wow! As an African American who is a history educator in a majority Caucasian school, it is a pleasure to see/read such passion about an era in our nation's history that still plagues our existence today. The problem, John, and anyone who reasons the way he does, is that historical events place you/us on a particular track/path that if not adjusted just continues until abnormal seems to be normal. Please pay close attention to how may young people and children our present in these images with their parents or adult mentor. Our nation has never atoned or apologized in any significant way for the horrific atrocities that were visited upon African (American) slaves. Slavery instilled a false sense of superiority and inferiority in specific groups in our country. The false sense of self has led groups to continue (Jim Crow, segregation, redlining, etc.) to treat other groups as less than. It would be great to "just move on", I don't know anyone who wouldn't love to wake up tomorrow with our nation being healed and whole. But as anyone who has ever dealt with ABUSE (physical, psychological, sexual, substance) knows there has to be an acknowledgment of the wrong and how it has led to other wrongs and treatment for the members to move forward and heal.
tamika127

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Lynching is terrible ... Reply with quote

David Thurber 10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:20 pm    Post subject: David Thurber Hannah Resseger Class Lynching Reply with quote

Lynching which is such a serious topic, makes my stomach sick to even think about it. The many African Americans that were brutally murdered just because of their skin, is a black eye on American History. I believe though times are changeing for the better between the black and white races. The racial barrier between whites and blacks are changeing. I come from mostly an all white town, I really didnt have any black friends. Being at ric I have made many friends that are African descent. When I hear about a modern day lynching in the news, Americans across the natiation take it alot more seriously, than just say 50-60 years ago. Their should never be hatred toward another race, just because of someones skin or the way they look. We are all humans and should be treated with the respect that every person around the world deserves.
WVSmith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: John, I understand... Reply with quote

John, your monumentally, misinformed comments make clear what I believe to be the two most important issues to be found at the sick and sordid heart of American racism; namely, the institutionalized ignorance and blatant hypocrisy of the so-called "silent majority". It is as if, many white American's are proud of what they don't know (or don't want to know) about the dark-side of their beloved America's past. But, I can understand their holding fast to ignorance. Admitting to knowing the truth, would render the revisionist hypocrites mute; and those, like you, the "terminally-ignorant" among us, would have no place to hide. You see, John: the issues you've raised and, at the same time, distorted with your titanic ignorance of the history of racism in this country, can all be found and have been addressed in the pages of books. But, as my father used to say, "If you want to hide the truth of American racism, from the average hypocritical American racist simply hide it between the covers of a book.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: