withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thank you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peres

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you so much Mr. Allen for putting in the effort to get this material to the public. As a nation, we will not be able to heal the racial scars until we are brave enough to look at our past. As an African, these images tare at my heart because I feel a sense of kinship with African Americans and this history shows me a nation that was not kind to my kin. I am currently finishing up my documentary that focuses on the relationship between Africans and African Americans and how our experiences with the West transformed us as a people.
ecocindy1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: I am interested... Reply with quote

Your research sounds interesting. It could serve as a bridge between our cultures. As an African-American teacher, I would like to get periodic updates on your research. My email is listed on this website. Thanks Peres.

Last edited by ecocindy1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:53 am; edited 2 times in total
imani.myton

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Imani M (African American History since 1877) Reply with quote

I wanted to second the thank you of the original post. This information is a part of history that is often overlooked and or not fully explained. I feel like African American history starts at slavery. Then there is a large gap and magically the civil rights movement. This is at least what I've experienced during high school.
ecocindy1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Response to Imani Reply with quote

Hi Imani,

Like you, I thought that our history began with slavery until I started reading W.E.B. Dubois' [b]The Gift of Black Folks[/b], which was commissioned in 1924 and re-released in 2009...the year of President Obama's Inauguration.

Even though I am only at the beginning of the book, it has already filled in many gaps for me.

Cindy
kbundy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited this site as part of an assignment for a course I am taking this spring, "The South in Black and White". Though I've seen pictures of lynching before, there was no way to prepare myself for these images. I found that I could not focus on the central figure(s) --- it was too disturbing to think of these people and the terror they must have experienced at the hands of their killers. And their families flash before me. It's very distressing. As for the prurient interest shown by the crowds, it is beyond my imagination how murder can be spectacle. But then, I've never been able to understand "capital punishment" either.

My heart is heavy after this experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: