withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WE CAN NEVER FORGET THE ATROCITIES THAT MINORITIES SUFFERED
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desed1975

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:41 am    Post subject: WE CAN NEVER FORGET THE ATROCITIES THAT MINORITIES SUFFERED Reply with quote

AS A MINORITY LIVING IN THE U.S. I MAKE IT A PASSION OF MINE TO NEVER EVER FORGET WHAT WE HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH. I GREW UP IN GEORGIA AND MY PROM WAS IN 1993 AND IT WAS SEGREGATED. I WAS UNABLE TO SHARE THAT PRECIOUS MOMENT WITH MY SOON-TO-WIFE THAT ATTENDED THE SAME SCHOOL AS I. THINGS LIKE THIS IS A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT PEOPLE THAT ARE NON-WHITE WILL NEVER BEEN SEEN AS EQUALS IN A COUNTRY THAT HAVE FORGED IT'S IDENTITY ON BLANTANT RACISM AND TERRORISM. DON'T BELIEVE ME, READ UP ON THE HOLOCAUST AND THE TRAIL OF TEARS. AS CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS, THERE ARE MANY ANGLO-SAXONS IN THIS COUNTRY WHO DENY THAT ANY OF THOSE TERRIBLE THINGS HAPPENED. RACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL TODAY. THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THEY HAVE TRADED IN THE SHEETS AND PILLOW CAQSES FOR SUITS AND TIES. PEOPLE I BEG OF YOU TO TEACH YOUR CHILD THE TRUTH ABOUT THINGS EVN IF THEY ARE DISTURBING BECAUSE THOSE OF US WHO FORGET THE PAST ARE BOUND TO RELIVE IT
deanesmay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: 1993? Reply with quote

Uhm, you attended a prom in 1993 that was "segregated?" By what law, by whose rule?

Your comments about "anglo saxons" and "whites" are as racist as that which you decry. Stop it please. If you had a senior prom in 1993, then you've never seen a segregated lunch counter, you've never lived in an America where you were denied the right to vote, to hold public office, an education, or anything else that kept black people behind decades ago. To pretend that you are today a victim in any way comparable to what was seen 80 or 90 years ago, and to blame "whites" and "anglo saxons" for those events of long gone generations is not just incredibly self-important, but is outright racist and obscene.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: wait wiat Reply with quote

before you think he is lying about the prom thing yes in georgia there was an article i read for a Sociology class that showed that in georgia there were 3 proms at one point- white prom, blakc prom, and hispanic prom...so don't attack it yes we still have segregation today
desed1975

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obviously, mr. esman is not from cobb county georgia lol. maybe in your neck of the woods racism is a thing of the past. but in olgethrope high school in 1993 the proms were indeed segregated. this was a school board rule that was in effect since the 30's and it was just abolished 2 years ago. how sad it must be to be blind to the ways of the south. Also i would do a little research b4 i try to discredit someone else's experience. being called an Anglo-saxon is more pleasent than being called a chink, [racial epithet deleted] or spic. next time respond to the whole post instead of just bits and peices.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that I have found most disturbing about this site is the responses in the forum which deny or minimize the problem of racism in our country. This thread is a prime example.

My ex-husband was mostly American-negro (also Welsh and Native American, but he "passed" as black). I can offer tons of examples of modern racism. And, this site and the commentary is definitely triggering those memories.

In 1980 we moved into a house my father owned, in the white section of town. This was a typical midwestern town of about 10,000. My children, aged 4 & 6, wallked around our block the first week we moved in. They came home hysterical because a white neighbor had pulled a gun on them and told them that if they ever walked on his sidewalk again then he would shoot them. The last week we lived there (after living there for four years; poverty can keep you where you don't want to be) my children tried to walk around the block again -- they were chased home by other children who were trying to hit them with tire irons and calling them the "n" word.

But, a few years before then my husband and I were driving in a pick-up truck, on a bridge, and another truck tried to force us off the side of the bridge. They hit the side of our truck with their truck a large number of times, all the while calling us racial names. My two children were in the front of the truck, and I threw them on the floor and covered their bodies with mine while my husband struggled to keep control of the truck. Fortunately, he succeeded.

Then, there is the more recent case (again, a small --1,000 population -- midwest town) where my son had to be taken out of school and home-schooled because the atmosphere at the school was so hostile. We had moved to this town because it is the one my current husband grew up in. My sons were some of the very few people of color in that town (and the only black people). The other students would call him racial names, and if he would complain to the teachers then he was disciplined for violating the "no-tattling" rule. When my husband and I would walk down the street, children would call out racial names to us (such as "your son is a N"- actual name not written out, you know what I mean). This was when my son was 10 -15 years old. It took us a while to get the $$ together to get out of that town. We left in 1996. In the five years that we lived there my son was unable to walk outside of our yard without risking being beaten up because he had a darker skin.

And, the most recent case that comes to my mind is when I was at a religious festival in 2002. Then, one other attendee started talking racial garbage, and compared mixed race marriages with incest! He also used the "n" word and, when I complained to others they acted as if I were the problem, not the racism. I even approached personal friends asking for their support, and they would not even say to me, personally not publicly and not confronting the racist, that what that person had said was wrong. They would only stick up for their friendship with that person, stating a broken record of "so-and-so is my friend". I wasn't asking them to not be friends with that person; I was asking them to refute the racist comments. This is one case where I really, really identified with Martin Luther King, Jr.'s words that "we will remember the silence of our friends much longer than the hate of our enemies" (paraphrased).

The denial that is being written on these boards is very disheartening. The legacy of lynching is far deeper than just those who were lynched. One person wrote on a thread that this is "not a holocaust" because not enough people were killed to make it one. Excuse me .. please get your head out of your racist butt!!! That makes me so very angry! The effect throughout the community of even one lynching is to keep all others quiet. You have no idea of the destruction to the community and to the sense of self that these acts of oppression and violence create. And, recognizing that violence is a world-wide problem, and one which trancends all boundaries, is not a valid excuse for ignoring our shared national history of violence and racism. Because it isn't even really history ... it still happens, it has just changed form a bit so that it is not as blatant.
Sid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ms. black America, national negro college fund, BET, national black caucus, "historically black colleges". I see now, segregation is ok so long as the blacks do it.
Whatever.
If whites choose to be with other whites, then you cry racism. You don't want equality, you want preferrential treatment.
Kush Queen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to "Sid",

I attend an HBCU. There are whites here.
BET was created for "blacks" by "blacks" because "whites" and "blacks" are different. Our views on life are not the same. Why not create programs that allow "blacks" to come together and relate to one another in a society that is designed to fail us?
No one stops a white person from watching BET. It's on television. If you want to watch it, then watch it. One of the purposes of the national negro college fund is to help "negroes" who get into college because they don't have enough money, because a majority of blacks have "low income."

These are "black" establishments inside America. If you think about it, a couple of decades ago, "blacks" didn't have any rights at all. So now that we do have some, it's segregation?
"Blacks" don't get any kind of treatment at all, let alone preferrential treatment. That is why "blacks" have these establishments.

And whites are, in fact with other whites, as you've said.

What's wrong with cultures to stick together?
Sid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowering the bar at the University of Michigan so that black students with lower SAT scores than white counterparts will be accepted. That is PT.
Kush Queen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sid"]Lowering the bar at the University of Michigan so that black students with lower SAT scores than white counterparts will be accepted. That is PT.[/quote]

That is B.S. I agree.
If a student can't work hard enough to get the SAT scores, they shouldn't have had to lower the bar.

I am guess that was what you meant by preferential treatment.
What does BET, the HBCUs and Ms. Black America have to do with lowering that bar?
I don't see the connection between BET, HBCUs, Ms. Black America and preferential treatment.
Please clarify?
desed19751

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: get real Reply with quote

this statement is for sid and kush queen. i see that you two want to refer to black organizations and businesses. all i have to say about that is that if blacks were allowed to be seen as equals by white america there would have never been a need to have our own television networks or pageants. face it you two. abc, cbs, nbc,c-span wnuv and many more of these stations are owned and operated by whites. It sickens me to know that every time blacks become self suffiecient and rise up you white people cry reverse discrimination. it's almost as if you want us to continue to beg and be grateful for what you allow us to have. i say to hell with that because we are becoming more and more intelligent and business minded as the days go by. by the way, your government needs to pull out of iraq and take illegal guns and drugs out of the inner city. i guess you to will say that blacks are responsible for that too as if we are bringing cocaine and 9mm.'s over here by pane. get real. as for the u of michigan lowering the bar for blacks, prove it. otherwise shut the [expletive deleted] up. i graduated in the top 3 percent of my class from the u of delaware in 1999 because of my hard work not because of a damn handout
desed19751

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: get real Reply with quote

this statement is for sid and kush queen. i see that you two want to refer to black organizations and businesses. all i have to say about that is that if blacks were allowed to be seen as equals by white america there would have never been a need to have our own television networks or pageants. face it you two. abc, cbs, nbc,c-span wnuv and many more of these stations are owned and operated by whites. It sickens me to know that every time blacks become self suffiecient and rise up you white people cry reverse discrimination. it's almost as if you want us to continue to beg and be grateful for what you allow us to have. i say to hell with that because we are becoming more and more intelligent and business minded as the days go by. by the way, your government needs to pull out of iraq and take illegal guns and drugs out of the inner city. i guess you to will say that blacks are responsible for that too as if we are bringing cocaine and 9mm.'s over here by pane. get real. as for the u of michigan lowering the bar for blacks, prove it. otherwise shut the [expletive deleted] up. i graduated in the top 3 percent of my class from the u of delaware in 1999 because of my hard work not because of a damn handout
yorkiehistory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: It is absolutely true that there was a segregated prom Reply with quote

When are the people in this country going to wake up? Just because you live in a "integrated"neighborhood do not believe for a minute that there is no segregation in this country anymore. I live on Long Island, NY-the most segregated area in the country!!! there is no LAW that says so but the real estate developers and salespeople know exactly where they are going to sell houses to people of color and where they are going to sell to whites. My sister's best friend's family wanted to move to our neighborhood and were told they would feel "uncomfortable"in our neighborhod and perhaps they should look elsewhere. Thank God they weren't put off and moved into our neighborhood and have lived here for 25 years.
There may be no law, but there definitely is the attitude.
P.S -I'm white and my sister's friend is black

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:idea: Segregation is the natural order of humanity. :!:
Forced integration will never work. Birds of a feather flock together, as do people. Blacks tend to want integration so whites can provide for them. On the contrary, whites do not need nor depend blacks. Sad but true.
JAM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: LISTEN UP Reply with quote

In response to: QUOTE "Blacks tend to want integration so whites can provide for them. On the contrary, whites do not need nor depend blacks. Sad but true.

Whites depended on African American's free labor for over 400 years to build this country. White women depended on African American women to breast feed their white babies during the enslavement period. Even today whites depend on African Americans for very numerous reasons. As a recording artist I know for a fact that whites depend on African American culture such as music to copy and claim for their own. Everytime one listens to Rock n roll music they are listening to an electrified verson of old African American blues. You probably think Elvis Presley invented Rock n Roll. He was the "Eminim" of the 50s. Nothing has changed. Today corporate America depends on Hip Hop culture and music to sell their products in commericals. The prison system in conjunction with corporate America depends on African Americans convicted of minor drug offenses for cheap labor while being incarcerated while most whites get rehab for the same offenses. African Americans spend billions apon billions of dollars every year to boost white businesses and the American economy which is why integration has hurt African Americans economically. Blacks need to recycle their own Black dollars with Black businesses the way it was done before integration because most whites boycott black businesses yet African Americans are too quick to hand their money over to whites. So to say that whites don't depend on blacks is a sad and incorrect statement.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The portions of Africa occupied by blacks certainly have thrived over the last several hundred years, now haven't they? NO! Still living in huts with dirt floors. Had you rather be there? If not, stop whinning. If so, catch a plane - flights leave daily.

"whites depended on africans over 400 years to build this country".......LIE. Do the math. This country is LESS THAN 400 years old.

As for your claims of white dependency on slave labor; only a miniscule percentage of work was done by slaves. Most people did not own slaves You need to study the facts before spouting fiction.

As to your claim of white women depending on black women to breast feed their young...........I suppose white women lacked the ability to lactate prior to 1865.

Prison thing.....Whatever.

I don't hate black people. I just think everyone would be happier apart.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: