withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"honor" killings...getting away with murder

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graceland

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: "honor" killings...getting away with murder Reply with quote

today i have heard, and thereby been given, an even stronger reason for resentment of the human race as a whole.

my history teacher shared with us an NPR news radio story covering the honor killings that take place in iraq. in islam, though killing is forbid, it is said that "tradition prevails over religion". the traditon being refferred to here is that of the killing of women...without any accusation of murder, and where more than half of the killings go unquestioned, untrialed, and unspoken of.

why? because in the roots of tribal affairs, a woman, or, God forbid, child girl MUST be sentenced to death in order to preserve honor of the family. many, in fact mostly all of these muders are commited by members of the family...cousins, fathers, brothers.. etc.

in the tribal traditions, woman's virginity is that of gold to a jewler. when even the slightest suspiscion is aroused of the woman's sex life, she is taken to special doctors who exam the women to see if they have been active. if a woman has been found to have broken her virginity, she is taken and killed in order to preserve honor. in the traditions, it is of great dishonor and misfortion for a family whose daughter has broken virginity or whose wife/mother has cheated on the husband. so, the solution? kill them. [i]even in cases of kidnapping and rape[/i], the women are stil killed.

the radio story described one story where a girl was kidnapped from her home. the kidnappers threatend to rape and kill her had the father not quit his job. after he did, the girl was released. and, it was of such shame to the family that their daughter had even been kidnapped, it was reason for death. she had not even been taken to one of the doctors to be exmined. suspicion was all it took to make up the family's decision. her father, however, could not bear to pull the trigger..and so her cousin, a patrol officer fresh home from work still carrying his weapon, shot her.

cases like this are not even questioned, nor are they righted or seen as doing harm. in most any case, it is percieved then that women can be raped and slaughtered like simple disposable objects. men have at hand a most useful excuse that is never questioned: "honor killings".

the news story had interviewed some men who had taken part in the killings....it was widely described as being so utterly shameful that honor rose above another's life. a doctor was interviewed, who said she did not even examine women accused of innappropriate actions...instead, [i]she sent them to a local morgue[/i] for special examination...where she knew that theyd more than likely end up. duringthe doctors interview at a hospital, a woman in the background was heard screaming in despair....her son had shot his sister.

actions like this are just one sliver of the muredrs commited...and easily passed off on account of honor killings. the women have no one protecting them; for the tribal tradition goes as far up as to the government.

more info at: http://www.here-now.org/shows/2004/07/20040720_2.asp

you can listen to the whole report ...click the 'listen" button.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people in denial are always trying to deflect the attention away from the white man's dirty crimes. It must be the shame you feel inside. Let me remind you that this website is about the whites lynching the blacks in America, and here you are trying to change the focus. It's PATHETIC !!
SeattleSon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:59 am    Post subject: Denial and Deflection Reply with quote

Actually it seems, perhaps, that you are in denial, and deflecting. In denial about the suffering of others. Deflecting well deserved attention to horrific crimes that are occurring right now. One would be hard-put to show up as a "Guest" and decide for the world what this site is "all about." Perhaps this effort would be "pathetic" if it were only what you assume it to be. We can't bring back our brothers and sisters who were murdered. We can't undue the abject terror or the silent angst of those that had no voice. We can't pull these people out of these pictures and "postcards" There is merit and just cause to create a site as this for no other reason than to make these crimes known. However, it raises this endeavor to a new plateau when it goes beyond, and becomes part of stopping a future evil, as well as documenting a past one. To prevent even one moment of monumental inhumanity, such as those captured in these photos, seems to me the most divine use of knowledge.

Kudos to Graceland for stepping beyond. I bow to this person for putting aside personal pain to champion another's struggle, people far away that Graceland has likely never met or seen. It saddens me that this person's caring, courage and concern are of such quality that it causes resentment to witness or hear of the failure of some of our brothers and sisters to meet the honorable standard that Graceland undoubtedly holds for his/her self. It gives me hope for the human race that such is still alive.
Graceland

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i merely wanted a place to share what i had recently learned that day...and this seemed the only logical site to me... what happened long ago with the african americans of our country is not denied here; there was thought that these killings could eventually lapse into something of similar horror, if awareness was not at least attempted.
SeattleSon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: 132 chances. Reply with quote

Well, there's nothing slight or mere about it. Whether you know it or not you've served as defender of those innocent women who are desperately in need of such. You've raised a flag of pointed recognition, while they are unable. You've taken aim and fired a shot at all of which causes such crimes. Nobody can say where that shot will end, if ever. Nobody can say where it will lead, or who it may serve cover for, and what they may accomplish with that moment. It may echo out a silence whose moment was waiting. It may join with others to become a wall of protection, and for people you don't personally know, straight from your heart and soul. Who knows, maybe it will eventually become the trigger for someone that will themselves someday serve the signal for the ones that will charge the beach to begin the moments that end with the justice these women deserve and for so long been kept waiting. At the very least, it did not go unheard. 132 viewings of this post stand as testament to that. That’s 132 more chances than these women had before you made the decision to commit your post. 132 chances and growing. 132 chances to live.
SeattleSon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I should say in defense of our "Guest", this person does make a valid point. African suffering has got to be one of the most negated in all of history. I guess in all honesty, if I died in such a physically, emotionally, spiritually brutal way, as depicted on this site, I would want somebody as sensitive and angry about it as our Guest was. I would want the memory of that crime to never occur without the anger and disgust it would always deserve. For that, I am thankful to our Guest…somebody’s got to do it.
marlin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much breast beating and hair tearing over the brutal lynching of a comparitively small number of people (both blacks and whites) !!

If Americans are to feel any guilt at all (after looking at this website I am not sure that they are capable of it ! ), then surely it should be reserved for the hundreds of thousands of Native American Indians systematically slaughtered as a matter of established American Government policy.
Marlin Malladyne-Ashcroft
Jenny623

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Denial continues... Reply with quote

Some people can't handle the horror of this site, so instead they downplay it and say it was all in the past. Then they turn the focus on others from the past (like the native American Indians who died years ago). This is a tragic part of American history, and it's still going on now and in other countries. The numbers have subsided and the incidents are fewer, but it happens. These photos were not taken that long ago either. Blacks were still getting lynched in the 50's and 60's. For the record, I have not seen any pictures of whites torturing native Americans. So sticking to what this site represents, it's a horrific tragedy against African Americans. Some people can't handle these truths, but I'm glad this site is here. It happened and here are the photos to prove it. Now what are we as a people going to do in our own lives to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone of any race again. That's the humane question.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: