withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

not so long ago, not so far away

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeattleSon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: not so long ago, not so far away Reply with quote

I am humbled by the truth of these images. To my sad surprise, I've stood near to where one of these photographs was taken, yet had no idea. Every spot where a lynching/murder took place should be marked with something. Perhaps no long winded, guilt riddled excerpt. Perhaps a simple brass marker, fixed in stone or implanted in the ground. This is our history. Only cowards run from their past. We haven't truly left these events until we've acknowledged them, and that's just the first step, but one I would encourage my American brothers and sisters to take, and take quickly. Moving forward doesn't mean forgetting, quite the opposite. To ascend to our future we must leave the past, but we can't leave that which we don't know and haven't acknowledged. How would we be able to tell if we've actually left, if we don't know what it is that we are leaving? How can we know we've arrived someplace else if we have no idea the place we came from? It will always haunt us. It will always be there. I don't think we'll be able to run away, or wait it out. All of history is a drop in the bucket. These horrible moments will never be so long ago, they will never be so far away.

Whoever put this all together should be quite proud of themselves. Itís a silent gift of possible redemption from the consequence of forgetting or ignoring. Itís a humble offer of knowledge. Knowledge that can allow us passage to a higher place of existence. Knowledge that can truly, in every sense of the word, set us free.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: