withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

truth, no matter how ugly, must be exposed

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrdaquila

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: truth, no matter how ugly, must be exposed Reply with quote

I was moved to tears by the haunting images of lynchings and cold blooded murders that seemed to have been perversely celebrated. Perhaps what disturbs me the most was the format these documents were presented in. To have such events made into postcards, to be sent along side Coney Island merrie-go-round or Eiffel tower postcards, is deeply upsetting. As painful as it is to view these documents, I know they must not be forgotten. They must be viewed by all and all must feel the painful reality of our history, if we ever hope to put our nightmarish past to rest for good. And it is my deep faith that we, as humans, will be able to rise out of the ashes of our racist past and into live up the prophetic creed of this nation.
dave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: your right Reply with quote

i do believe that your right Mr Daquila. Our history is full of hate and descrimination but we should never forget these events in history no matter how disturbing they are.
Graceland

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...places like this should help us with that. its good to see that there are some places where all of history, good and bad, is still acknowledged.
bethanygoddiess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: my reaction Reply with quote

Mr. D'Aquila-
thank you for making the class watch these haunting images of the past. I know that most people in our class are colorblind to different races, although we live in a town that is pretty much all white. i think that doing things like this, watching the videos, and the presentation of this website, that this did once happen, and no matter how hard we try to convince ourselves that racisim does not exist today, we are blinded by our own ignorance, because it does. We have no idea what really happened because we were not there to live through it, but from watching Rosewood, and looking at this website, i continually have to live with the fact that this still does happen in the world, and it has happened, and things like Rosewood, relatively speaking did not happen that long ago. So thank you for continually making me open my eyes and look at the world around me.
Chris Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Live, learn, and pass it on Reply with quote

I also viewed this through a class for college: American Historical Survey

Dr. Brandon-Falcone from NWMSU linked this from her eCompanion site, and I think that it should be required for class.

I hope that everyone that views this material receives knowledge of the past, as well as a gain in understanding that we as people have to work towards tolerance of each other ethnic backgrounds.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: