withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange Fruit Brought Me Here

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoffh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Strange Fruit Brought Me Here Reply with quote

I'm from England.

My journey to this site started in 1980, when I bought a music album by a band called UB40. On the album was a song called "Strange Fruit" which to a young teenager ignorant of the tragic tale behind the song had the most bewildering lyrics.

Intoxicated by the song, I immediately sought more information and found that it had been recorded by Billie Holliday. I managed to find an old battered copy of a vinyl LP which contained the original recording.

The song was so stark, so deeply intense, I have always considered it to be one of the most important songs ever written.

So, here we are in 2006, and with the advent of information technology I have my own blog site of which I post information on music both old and new. I wanted to reserve a special post for "Strange Fruit" and wished to arm myself with as much info as possible in order to fully convey the meaning of the song.

And that's how my search led to this site.

As a person who is thousands of miles away, with no great knowledge of how lynching began it was the most enlightening, humbling, but most of all memorable internet site visit I have ever travelled to. I appreciate that the subject matter is difficult, graphic and can be disturbing, but like most of the people who have visited, I'm sure we feel that these crimes to civilisation should be exposed so that we never have to live through them again.

I wish you well with your site, and will at all opportunity link fellow interested parties to you.

It's took 26 years for me to get here, and I can only apologise for that, but I will never forget the inhumanity, never........ever.

Thankyou
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: