withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Including such graphic pictures in a college level education

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgeor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Including such graphic pictures in a college level education Reply with quote

I definitely think documents and pictures of these events be included in a college level education. Only by viewing items such as the postcards on the web site and reading descriptions of the events do individuals get a better understanding of these events. Not including these documents and events in a college level education is implying that these events in American history are simply not important or relevant anymore. By doing so, the stories and lives of the victims and how they died for what they stood for becomes meaningless. By incorporating these events into the college level education of American History, students are able to learn from the mistakes of previous generations and better appreciate the present freedoms in the U.S. Clearly, the reality of such events and documents gives me a new perspective on the civil rights movement of 1954-1968. I understand now that the civil rights movement of 1954-1968 was in reality the only option for African Americans who believed in racial equality and a future for themselves.
glad9335

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree that such materials should be taught on a college level, if not the high school level as well. If it goes unspoken, history is forgotten. We can't pick and choose which parts of history we would like to claim. It's not fair and leads us to have false impressions of our past. Should we be proud of our actions in a time like that? No. Are the pictures part of the history that led to where we are today? Yes. For this reason it should be taught. I've never seen anything like this before, and I'm suprised that it's never come up in any of my other classes. Ultimately, my view of the civil rights movement has stayed namely the same. These sights do, however, make me grateful that the movement didn't last any longer than it did, and that it came out with what I have to believe to be a more positive outcome. Maybe those lynched are the martyrs for the cause. It doesn't make their deaths any better, but maybe it does justify their cause. I guess, my main thought is maybe they didn't die in vain.

Last edited by glad9335 on Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
usbadtimes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Sharing History Reply with quote

Such materials are hard to imagine in this time and age, but we need to remember such events. The United States has gone through so many phases and horrible moments in its history. These graphics shown on this website are important and should be shown to college and high school students. The Civil Right movement was very important and disturbing at the same time. The mudurous crimes commited during this time were horrific and while getting an education, you should learn about the details of this time and see just how graphic it was. Many people don't see this side of the Civil Rights movement. Some people only see Martin Luther King Jr. as the leader and the speeches. So much more went on behind the scenes. Overall this should be taught to college students so that they can have a better understanding of the Civil Rights Movement.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: