withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disappointed

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackbird

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Disappointed Reply with quote

It doesn't matter where I come from, what the tint of my skin is, what kind of blood I'm supposed to have or what name I bear on my birth certificate. These things do not make me more or less of a person than anyone else and this is why they do not matter.

On viewing the photos and the movie, I was able to appreciate the focus on man's inhumanity to man because that is what this site represents to me. How unfortunate I find it then that most of you have fallen on the typical and well worn *social* construct of race (the concept of race is not borne of biology, it exists only in our minds and serves as an illusion) and not what this site really depicts - social injustice, ignorance and fear.

Disappointingly, I see that these are still the ties that bind us to ignorance today as they did back then.
seeodywhy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Disappointed Reply with quote

I think you missed the point. Whether or not a construct exists in your mind is irrelevent to someone harming you because of what they percieve. Sad to say, but the white people in those pictures knew exactly what they were doing. Just like the white juries that have been acquitting murderous policemen knew exactly what they were doing. What you have to remember is that people don't see you they see your skin color and the way you dress. And to white suburban America they see the personification of evil, of the guy who will rob them on a dark street. The second we fool ourselves into thinking it doesn't matter, the sooner it will happen again. At least now we retaliate. By the way, burning down a neighborhood when the cops murder an unarmed black man with impunity is a good thing. African Americans don't own any of the stores in our own communities.
Blackbird

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas, case in point.
Thank you for providing it.
Observer_15

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see both of your points. We watched the movie in American Cultures today. I watched in sadness and grief as those people were killed. I feel so horrible seeing what they did and felt guilty, like I was somehow a part of it, but it was before my time and I know I should not blame myself. But after all it is history and most of us would like to think we can forget the past, but I think it still lingers among everyone in some form. I may not know the specifics of these tragedies and may see it only in its skeptic form but I would still like to express my opinion. I appreciate James Allen and John Littlefield for making this information apparent. Even though it was not a happy deed to present, it was indeed a brave one because we all have our different views. I think we all still have feelings of unequality because of the events in the past and I wish somehow this wouldn't be so, but it was their decision to do that to those people and strangely it affects me in a way I didn't think it would. A worldly view....and how I don't think we have changed that much from the past to the present.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: