withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lynching is terrible, but don't blame whites today for it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbroser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you believe that although whites (your and my race) have discriminated against blacks for hundreds of years, it's THEIR responsibility to apologize to US (meaning whites) for fighting to end lynchings and other countless acts of racial violence?

I understand if you feel harassed by the number of reactions against lynching that are directed against us and other whites, but if we were enslaved for almost 300 years, if we struggled for political equality for another hundred years, and even in the present day we still saw demonstrations of hate crimes, I would like every other perpetrator responsible for committing or assisting those crimes to (1) stop these acts of hatred, and (2) learn why these crimes represent so much hatred to blacks and other ethnic groups whose ancestors at one time probably were hung just like those in the postcards!

Your plea is clearly a cry of ignorance, and you must be educated to learn why these lynchings represent racism, degradation, and hatred. I don't believe it is progressive to insult you for your opinion (it is evident that you just don't understand the historical significance of these lynchings), but I urge you to study African-American history and the history of other people who have come to the United States for freedom and equality, but were met with oppression and discrimination.

That is the only way EVERYONE will understand how horrible these killings are, and will act to end them and racial discrimination once and for all!
Phadera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no end to the discussions about who did what to whom and why and when and how..this has been going on since this site was created and we're losing touch with why it was created... To protect the future from the past. As with all the horrors that were inflicted on another human being because of differences, we still have learning to do to stop the hate. It matters how it started, it matters how it changed and it matters how it's treated now. Each and every one of us has been humiliated, hated and part of our souls have been changed by another person for reasons we will never know. Our nationalities have been disrespected, our ancestors tortured, killed and we have been buried alive under dirt of bias and prejudice. Learn from this, then teach the lessons to others so these kinds of things never make it into our history books again and so web sites like this don't have to remind us of who we were.
yama

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: wow... wow! Reply with quote

You know [b]maggiore's[/b] response was wonderfully well done.... no insults....just information and education to match the ignorance...just well done...I hope John learned something.....
xxxcoolbreeze

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lynching is terrible, but don't blame whites today for i Reply with quote

Wow. John, are you serious? Have you anything else to post after the fact of the first statement? John I have no bad words for you, but try to do research before putting yourself out there like this. If I didn't know any better it sounds as if someone was telling you this stuff instead of you learning from a credible source or books recognized by the world for truth in history. I hope this is only your ignorance and not a joke, or even worse an attempt at sparking emotions based upon insult of knowledge.
SONOFAMILLIONAIRE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I am doing this right I am a first time user. I just wanted to say that I fight this battle daily as a blackman, no different tnan any of us. I am really sick and tired of Southern Whites commenting that the civil war wasn't really that bad in fact a lot of Black soldiers fought on the side of the confederates. While this is in fact true, they did so under the false promises that at the end they would be set free and they were , by the bullet and the rope. So they were either for us or against us there was no in between.

I personally do not blame all whites for our plight but they must admit they have one and all benefitted from the toils of our ancestor free labor.
rnt80

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've enjoyed reading the posts in this thread. I am a high school history teacher in Arizona. I do my best to expose my students to a wide variety of viewpoints and perspectives. The area in which I teach is predominately white and right-wing. At times it is certainly an uphill battle. What I've found in my experience is that too many want to celebrate the good without even acknowledging the bad. It is undeniable that the present condition of America today directly descends from our past. Whether you had a part in the negative aspects of American history doesn't matter. What matters is that you are benefitting from those instances today. You are benefitting from the years of slave labor, subjugation and segregation that allowed this country to become the most powerful and the wealthiest on earth. You want the ocean without it's raging waters. It doesn't work that way. If you are tired of people pointing out the negative then blame your moronic ancestors for creating those conditions. It is true that this country didn't found slavery. However, this country was part of a system that injected racism into the mix. Other cultures that have had slavery in their past have been missing that ingredient. The ingredient, racism, is the dying legacy of slavery today. It is the fault of no one but the founders of this country. So if you are exasperated beyond belief at this point direct your frustration at your beloved founding fathers who saw fit to create such a climate.
rbroser

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a wise teacher, and as I too wish to be a teacher, I find your words greatly inspirational. It is true: You cannot acknowledge slavery, segregation, or even the civil rights movement in a completely positive light. We learn history to acknowledge both the positive and negative aspects.

Only when as a society, nay, as a people, do we confront our past and use it to transgress can we truly change our society for the better. I am only eighteen years old, and so I cannot act as though my words are absolute wisdom, but you, I, and many others speak the truth: You cannot take the good without the bad.

It is painful to remember the countless people that were killed, mistreated, and abused for hundreds of years, but we must acknowledge them. Acknowledge them, for if you do not, our efforts for a better tomorrow will be in vain. Remember these teacher's words.
moe8499

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really glad I read this post. This just shows that ignorance is still a major component in our society.I wanted to thank "rnt80" for the words of wisdom. I myself am a college student who was oblivious to a lot of the matters surrounding me. It was my professors who showed me the reality we live in. The only thing I didn't like about this forum is that a lot of people just attacked "John" calling him ignorant. This is not the way to show people reality. Most of the ignorant people that feel the way John does are driven by ideologies. These ideologies justify all the feelings that they have. Anyways all I'm trying to say is using Soft Power is more affective than using Hard Power.
rbroser

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. John is ignorant, and instead of criticizing him we should educate him, and make him aware of racism and why these lynchings are wrong. If he were to understand why these postcards represent not only hatred but also the persistence of racism, then he would know that these lynchings, and all other racist acts, are wrong, and another individual would stand up and proclaim these acts are wrong.

John, these lynchings represent years of oppression, or hatred, but most importantly, indifference. Those, black and white alike, who knew these events and knew they were wrong, who did not act to stop, only encourage them to continue. If you were to know how horrific it is for a black person to still be denied a promotion because he or she is black, how terrible it would be for a black child to not be allowed to attend a carnival because only white kids could go (and imagine the time spent explaining to the child about why he or she could not go, and see that child feel hurt and inferior), you would see these lynchings as another ugly wart on the face we call democracy.

If you knew what these lynchings met, I am sure you would also denounce them, and I hope when you do, you will also advocate against racism. There are no heroes, and no villains; we are merely the product of our environment. If John grew up indifferent to black struggles, then he can also learn that racism is wrong, and that it cannot be ignored but instead addressed the public.
lilbuddha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you friken kidding me? a show of appreciation...arn't you jumping on the same kind of thinking your putting down? people blaming others for something in the past....and you taking credit for something in the past seems real similar...(if that isn't the best display of white privledge and entitlment) but btw incase you were not aware it's not exactly the same "playing field" today in America....and if i was black i'd be pissed....(i'm white)....and as a woman i sure can say i'm not going around thanking every man for for my clean & clear step up into top managment (sarcastic)....so whatever. maybe i should think every man should be thanking me for the shear reason they EVEN EXIST. pleeeeese. this kinda thinking disgusts me. and news flash....THE 1930'S WERE NOT THAT LONG AGO....AND 1955 WHEN EMMETT TILL WAS BRUTALLY MURDERED WASN'T EITHER.
andjusticeforall

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most sad thing here is that now, some white american people (not all, thanks God, ok?) are trying to ĻsubstituteĻ their Ļold afroamerican enemiesĻ for inmigrant people, like mexican and centro american, saying that they are the īcause of poverty and job loss for american white race people in u.s.. Come on, inmigrant people just did the dirty and hard jobs that white people didnīt want to do. I donīt know why inmigrant people, trying to get a better life here in u.s. are now being accused of things that they are not guilty and lately being lynched, like the 4 mexican guys found dead in illinois inside their poor departement.

Letīs not forget that God made us all the same as him.

Peace brothers.
dragonladi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John: I join with the others who have suggested that you acquaint yourself with some black history. You have missed a lot of facts and it is apparent in your post.

Mathematics - based on the Arabic system of counting.
Astronomy - used by Africans, South Americans, Chinese, etc. ALL BEFORE whites were out of caves.
Architecture - large, beautiful structures built by people of color while whites were still painting their faces blue and dancing around campfires in wolfskins & sleeping in huts

The list goes on. Whites have excelled at traveling, utilizing the science and discoveries of others, and subjugating others through lying, trickery, and infection.

Yes, we are here today in this country that was built on the slave labor of our ancestors. There's no point in holding a grudge at this stage BUT "thank you for GIVING us our rights"!!!!!?????!!!!

DUDE, WE HAD RIGHTS WHERE WE WERE. We also had family, history, traditions, and a clean, clear blood line.

YOU GAVE US NOTHING THAT OUR ANCESTORS DID NOT EARN!!!! And, we TOOK our rights. Do you think that FEAR did not run down the spines of whites when we started marching in the thousands????

Why don't you read a true account of slavery and try putting yourself in the slave's place? Then move a bit forward and put yourself in the place of the black WWII veteran who returned from the war victorious, only to be refused a decent job, and lynched if he objected to the unfairness of it all. By the time you get to today, you will see why your posting sounds so off-the-wall to so many.
JADAN

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: people should not blame history Reply with quote

yes. I agree that people should not blame on white for lynching black people, because that was what white people did in the past, it is nothing relating to current white people. Just forget the past and accept the future.
Aryan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Hahahahaha Reply with quote

If a black man says "I'm PROUD to be black!" He is considered a proud black man.

NOW If a white man says "I am PROUD to be white!" he is considered to be RACIST!!!!!!

Well I am PROUD to be a aryan female and INCREDIBLY proud of my heritage! Take it as you will! Only the ignorant can twist my words in to lies!

The amount of white bashing is disgusting. You act as if I climbed that tree or bridge to hang that man. How do I say sorry for what some close-minded moron did almost 100 years ago.

Quit trying to mooch sympathy, If your black, white, japanese, mexican or rainbow colored.... Have pride in yourself and dont bash others!

DID YOU ASK TO BE BORN WEARING THE FLESH THAT YOU CAME IN TO THIS WORLD WEARING?

MY GUESS IS NO......
SONOFAMILLIONAIRE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree you should be proud of who you are and at the same time saddened and ashamed of what the rest of your people have done. For now we are simply proud to be free at last ! Happy MLK Day to you !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: