withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should these pictures be brought into a class room?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenE

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: should these pictures be brought into a class room? Reply with quote

I most certainly believe that these pictures shoud be shown in classrooms. They are so real and they seem to tell a story of the person killed. It tells a story about their life and how it tragically had to end in the manner it did. No words can really explain how they make you feel. it made me want to go out and reasearch more about them and escpically the Duluth Lynchings, becasue Minnesota is my home state. It is hard to believe that such hate was one day prevelant in their socities. They are a great learning tool in the way that the students can actually see the image, rather that imagining it. I think it hits home harder and real human emotion comes out and makes the student relate better!
JEnnifer
elibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Educating Reply with quote

I agree with you Jene. Educating is indeed about truth. Truth should be told. And truth is about reality.
Reality should be shown to kids. Not to make them feel guilty, not to make them feel angry. Just to make them feel human and connected to mankind and therefore to each other.
Those terrible pictures that illustrate the terrible truth must be seen and their comment must be heard.
As an English teacher in France, I believe all my pupils (15 to 20) should see Without Sanctuary. I have added its link on my blog /bilien.blogspot.com/
I did add some warning, some PA, but i hope they will watch it.
And i hope to find an equivalent for so many subjects on the web: "The Algerian events" as they were called, "Indochina" as they used to call South -East Asia, Collaboration during WWII and so on and so forth....
BRAVO Sincerely. Elibi
Baltasar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Teaching about lynching cannot be done without this site Reply with quote

Teaching about lynching is as important as teaching about our democratic institutions. Lynching has been a challenge to the very existence of democracy wherever it has been practiced. In the US the legacy of violence that racism represents has to be taught as a constitutive element of the country´s history and moral fabric. Teachers might want to consider to tell their students that the existence of the death penalty in 38 states of the Union is part of that legacy. If they do not think so, then they need to tell why there´s such a disproportionate number of Blacks who have been executed throughout the country´s history to this day.
ronnie brock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: human or what Reply with quote

as i viewed the movie i could not help but think what would go through another mans mind to do this to another man?
how can men put to death another human being without a second thought.
these men and women minds, created by God, was ended by other men and women without a second through even as if they enjoyed it. they reminded me of a crowd of Hitlers. look at the faces of the crowds....
when i get myself together i will let me kids watch this..its important for them to know man in all form.
Mr Allen you did a great job!!!!
Ashley057

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images should definitely be used in the classroom as long as they are accompanied by questions and discussions. I wish that I had been exposed to these types of photographic materials when I was in high school because they offer a different perspective than those written in most high school text books. I am a college student using 20th century photographic images as part of a history research paper, and images such as these are a striking reminder of important & disturbing elements in America's history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: