withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"A House Divided Cannot Stand"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jufa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: "A House Divided Cannot Stand" Reply with quote

No one knows the suffering one endures to be aright at heart. All I've found are the followers of those who have no dream or passion to understand

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"God hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has always been men of visions. The purpose behind the vision did not matter. And whether mankind can understand or not, there will always be individual who must keep reaching out to all men - should we dare allow ourselves as one nation to - should we dare, in our own hearts allow ourselves to keeps our house intact and free of division

I do not know about you, but I read speeches of old and contemporary that kept and keeps my dream alive. Hear is one I just finished reading. I have not posted the entire speech, just that which made me understand it is not just the black man's struggle, it is every man/woman/child's struggle to seek justice. "Justice denied anywhere is justice denied everywhere." This includes our minds

Abraham Lincoln's 'House Divided' Address

Originally delivered by Abraham Lincoln 16 June 1858, Springfield, Illinois

Mr. President, Gentlemen of the Convention:
If we could just know where we are and whither we appear to be tending, we could all better judge of what to do, and how to do it. We are now well into our fifth year since a policy was initiated with the avowed object and confident purpose of putting an end to slavery agitation.
However, under the operation of that policy, that agitation has not only not ceased, but has constantly augmented. In my opinion, it will not cease until a crisis shall have been reached and passed. "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

I believe this government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved -- I do not expect the house to fall -- but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing, or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest this further spread and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is on a course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates shall press it forward, until it shall become alike lawful in all of the States, old as well as new, North as well as South.

Have we no tendency to this latter condition?
===========================================

These words ring true today moreso because there is a choice now for the black man that was not then. So I repeat, and in repeating I raise the questions thereafter.

Quote:
what about those who have not been through the suffering? How are they suffering now?

How are you suffering? Does your suffering spill out into keeping the memory alive?

There is a story to be told, are you telling it? It is told in your suffering, in your dialogue, preaching, and living.

We are not accountable for any man's suffering, we are accountable for the suffering of mankind. It is mankind who bears the cross of hate, not black or white. The answer to all question such as the one's you have asked is what have you done today to eliminate a small speck of the darkness which covered your household, your yard, your place of shopping, your workplace, your friends? It is never a collective vision of hope, it is always individualized, and the indivualization turns into the coalition for change.

The civil rights movement which lead to the boycott began with Rosa Parks - one woman who sat down for the freedom to sit down. But it truly began when the very first slave, black or white resisted the physical and mental chains of binding

Never give power to anything a person believes is their source of strength - jufa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: