withoutsanctuary.org
Comments about Without Sanctuary

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Required viewing and reading Hist. 104. UND fall 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RMCII

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Required viewing and reading Hist. 104. UND fall 2012 Reply with quote

The students in Mr. Caulkins' Hist. 104 class will view the photographs and the movie. Your comments will be posted as a response to this post.
ashley.steidl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Required viewing and reading Hist. 104. UND fall 2012 Reply with quote

[quote="RMCII"]The students in Mr. Caulkins' Hist. 104 class will view the photographs and the movie. Your comments will be posted as a response to this post.[/quote]

I personally believe that this website should be shown to every student whether in college or high school. I say this because we ALL need to know and understand these atrocities and do our best to prevent them from ever happening again. Granted, some of the material could be overwhelming to some people no matter their age, that may not be a terrible thing because that means it will only be ingrained further into their minds. I for one learned more about lynchings from this site in the small amount of time that I explored it than I have ever known in the last 19 years of my life and I am truly glad I am now able to understand just how incredibly awful these horrors were.

Ashley Steidl
alexander.vogel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Required viewing and reading Hist. 104. UND fall 2012 Reply with quote

I found this site to be very informative. It shows the brutal truth and reality of what happened after the civil war. Most people think that the war ended and that everyone got along. Unfortunately the sad reality is that it took years and years for people to co-habitat in a community. I found the images to be very powerful and graphic, and I think that this was the purpose of the photos in the first place. I think students should learn about this because a lot of the time people try and forget the bad. Lynching was part of history though and it should be remember, so that people dont forget what was happening at one point in history.
DRWonoski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley - I think you hit the nail on the head there! These images are brutal but an honest depiction of an important part of our American history. In High School I never enjoyed learning about history and was always told that we must understand our past so we don't make the same mistakes in the future. I think these events are a prime example of why that statement is so true and important.

These images can be disturbing but it absolutely burns the idea into our heads to remember. I will always remember watching the movie Mississippi Burning when I was a freshman in high school. At first, I didn't understand why my school required a permission slip for us to watch a film, but after the first few minutes of the movie it was clear. I recently had the opportunity to travel through Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama, where I was able to view some of these places first hand. Visiting the Rosa Parks Museum in Montgomery, Alabama truly made me proud of the way humanity has evolved in such a short time period. While it is unfortunate that we thought this behavior was okay in the past, and some still think this way now, being well educated on the subject matter is the best way to combat such a ridiculous thought. It has taken years to get to where we are today but we are heading down the right path thanks to websites like this.

Dustin Wonoski
Jed Swenson

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You cannot truly understand the brutality of lynching until you see actual pictures from the events. The pictures look like something out of a horror movie, and it was a real life horror movie for the victims of these events. In history 103 we watched a movie showing images of the beatings slaves received. The images were horrific and showed the hardships the slaves went through. The effect was the same seeing these images of lynchings. This website is a great educational tool because seeing the events has a much greater effect than just hearing about them.
Nathan_Sweet

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this site to be a sad reminder of our dark and bloody past. The images show us that even though we see ourselves as a nation of understanding and of equality, we have a very morbid past. These events should never be forgotten and should be a constant reminder of what we stand against in this world, bigotry and oppression.
Michael Pacana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: withoutsanctuary.org Reply with quote

I found this site to be a dark reminder of America's past, where horrible things were done to people just because of the color of their skin. These horrible acts will always be a dark stain on America's history and we must remember that all men are created equal and the color of ones skin does not change this.
juan martinez

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: History 104 Reply with quote

The fact that the US postal service issued and allowed circulation of these post cards is daunting. Although it is unfortunate that the acts occurred, the postcards allow those who view the video to capture what actually happened during this period in US history. Most students at the high school level are not exposed to the fact that those who were lynched were not just hanged. As the narrator explains and the video demonstrates, they were tortured and humiliated in front of an audience before their life was taken. This short video helps the general public get a better understanding of what actually occurred during a period when lynching frequently practiced.
madison.bowsher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing that I found most shocking when looking at these pictures was the fact that everybody watching the events seemed so happy and exciting. I just can't imagine hpw sick a person has to be, not only to perform lynchings, but to actually enjoy them. I also found it disturbing that in a few pictures, there were children watching. I can't imagine a parent that would want to expose his or her child to anything of that nature. It is also disturbing to me that people loved these events so much that they would want to things such as take pictures and make postcards out of them, like a souvenir. I think lynching really shows that, while our country is great, it also has had a lot of things occur in it's pas that we should really be ashamed of.
Jeremy.Benson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site is very educational and should be shown in all History classes. This site goes deep into the brutality that was done, and shows how immoral whites were to blacks. We've all been taught about how the blacks were treated and disliked, but these pictures go into greater detail in emphasizing the violent behavior the whites did.
malith.silva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally Agree with all you guys, I am not american myself but i believe this website is up front and straight forward, which should be the case when it comes to matters like this.

Im from Sri lanka, and We have had a civil war in our country based on race for over 35 years, happy to say that it ended 2 years ago. race and ethnicity is merely gentical thing, it shouldnt be used to analyse what kind of person you are
justin.elgin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said too. The actions of the dark past of the United States can't be forgotten but it can be remembered that as time went on for those who were raised with the understanding that Whites were so much more superior to everyone else, that it may have been hard to escape the mindset of what they grew up being preached. Of course that is still not in any way an acceptable "excuse" for the actions of those who condoned such horrendous actions against another human being. Those involved in the past were not able to see past the fact that they were all human, all they could see is the difference is skin color and that was enough for them to rationalize their actions that created one of the darkest times in modern history.
Sarah C. Larsen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Comparing Modern Racism to Old Fashion Racism Reply with quote

I watched the video and looked at the pictures and, as I was looking at them, I felt sick to my stomache. I also felt no faith in humanity at that time. The fact that lyching was allowed and even encouraging at that time is sickening. It just shows how big a problem racism can become if it gets out of hand. I understand why they thought that it was ok at that time, but I can't believe that many people where involved and didn't say anything against it. To them, they thought they were doing "justice", but to me it was murder. I don't know if it's just the modern vs. old time or it we have just grown out of it. However, it is still happening, not to the extent of lychings, but equal rights. In 2008, Morgan Freeman actually funded a prom for a high school, in Mississippi, that did not allow interracial prom night. That was 4 years ago that they had their first interracial prom night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    withoutsanctuary.org Forum Index -> Read Visitor Comments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: